Monday, March 29, 2010

Cucumber Salad(s)

It's not summer yet, but it was definitely time for a cucumber salad. I'm German, so my standard (and so far favorite) version of a cucumber salad is very simple - just thinly sliced, with a dill sour cream dressing. Though this is not what I made. Encouraged by the super yummy Chinese version (cubed cucumbers with lots and lots of garlic, and a little salt) I ventured into new territory, inspired by Mark Bittman's cucumber salad in 101 Salads http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/22/dining/22mlist.html.

I started with making Ricotta - heat milk with a little acid (lemon juice or vinegar), be patient, wait for it to curdle then ladle it into a cheesecloth, then wait an hour) (plenty of recipes on the internet, though perhaps one of these days I'll publish mine...). Then I sliced a cucumber very thinly, added gazoodles of capers, the ricotta and some nice Californian olive oil. A touch of fleur du sel on top - sooo good!



And in case you're interested in my traditional German cucumber salad, here's the recipe:

German Cucumber Salad

1 English Cucumber
1 bunch dill
1/2 cup sour cream
Salt, pepper

Slice the cucumbers very thinly, salt them, let them sit for a while. In the meanwhile prepare dressing: Chop dill, add to sour cream, add pepper, mix. No not add any more salt.... Just before serving drain the liquid from the cucumbers, then add the dressing, mix and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment